Re: IETF turns 30

2016-01-15 00:00:39
So...  {useless history discussion follows}

On 1/15/16 1:00 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Thursday, January 14, 2016 15:48 +0100 Eliot Lear
<lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

Whatever debate you are referring to, the IETF wasn't having it.
We didn't retire the "OSI Integration" Area (with Erik Huizer
and Dave Piscitello as the last two co-chairs) until circa IETF
25 in November 1992 and my recollection is that it was clear
until not long before that that the plan was to get Internet
applications and upper layers running over an OSI substrate.

TCP/IP over OSI first...
By the time the area was finally shut down (and most or all of
the remaining WGs folded into Applications, with Eric moving
over), the goal was clearly to figure out which OSI applications
were in use and/or likely to be worth anything going forward and
get them to work over TCP and/or IP.

OSI over TCP/IP later...

GOSIP wars in the industry in between.  Ross Callon probably remembers more.

And also in between, there was an amusing discussion about what people
actually put on their business cards re X.400 (Chuck Hedrick from
Rutgers @ Hawaii - I was in the room; it was quite funny, which is why I
remember it).

Eliot