Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-codec-oggopus-10.txt> (Ogg Encapsulation for the Opus Audio Codec) to Proposed Standard

2016-01-27 15:10:18
On 27 Jan 2016, at 14:44, Robert Sparks wrote:

This document has an unusual feature that I think needs to be highlighted in this last call.

Section 13 instructs the RFC editor to:
In the Copyright Notice at the start of the document, the following
paragraph is to be appended after the regular copyright notice text:

"The licenses granted by the IETF Trust to this RFC under Section 3.c
of the Trust Legal Provisions shall also include the right to extract
text from Sections 1 through 14 of this RFC and create derivative
works from these extracts, and to copy, publish, display, and
distribute such derivative works in any medium and for any purpose,
provided that no such derivative work shall be presented, displayed,
or published in a manner that states or implies that it is part of
this RFC or any other IETF Document."
I understand why we did what we did for RFC6716 (the specification for OPUS, where the additional grants were to deal with the code being normative).

For the record, the rights grant in RFC 6716 covered the textual parts in addition to the code parts. Given that the code components are already covered by the BSD licensing option in the TLP, this seems mainly relevant to the textual parts.

I don't mean to refer to that as precedent; only to suggest that if people think it's not appropriate now, it might not have been a good idea then either.

I do not think it is the right thing to do for this document.

It would have been better if the document, or the shepherd's writeup, spelled this issue out. For now, Ron's message at <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/codec/5pl4RhroYqB9vLRnOyeIKOC8lkA> is a good place to start - scroll down to the section starting "The crux here is twofold."

Thanks for spelling it out now :-)

RjS