Re: [codec] Last Call: <draft-ietf-codec-oggopus-10.txt> (Ogg Encapsulation for the Opus Audio Codec) to Proposed Standard

2016-01-29 10:32:49
On 01/28/2016 04:07 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
So either the open source communities needs to be able to change the
text, or it does not need to be able to change the text, or it has
created rules for itself where it needs to be permitted to change the
text even though it does not actually want to change.

The first, not changing the text, is already covered.
The second, changing the text, is not something I or the IETF community
support.

It depends on your definition of "changing the text". There's a lot of
pretty reasonable changes you can make to get the RFC text to better fit
within a new document without changing the meaning. Any of these sure
beats "paraphrasing a section of the RFC" from a compatibility point of
view.

The third would seem to be a different problem, and asking the IEtF to
change its rules for that seems a VERY strange answer.

There's certainly a bit of that as well. But keep in mind there's no
"chair of the open source community" who can change all the rules.

Cheers,

        Jean-Marc

Yours,
Joel