Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-codec-oggopus-10.txt> (Ogg Encapsulation for the Opus Audio Codec) to Proposed Standard

2016-01-29 10:34:03

Hi Robert,

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 02:44:41PM -0600, Robert Sparks wrote:
This document has an unusual feature that I think needs to be highlighted in
this last call.

Section 13 instructs the RFC editor to:
   In the Copyright Notice at the start of the document, the following
   paragraph is to be appended after the regular copyright notice text:

   "The licenses granted by the IETF Trust to this RFC under Section 3.c
   of the Trust Legal Provisions shall also include the right to extract
   text from Sections 1 through 14 of this RFC and create derivative
   works from these extracts, and to copy, publish, display, and
   distribute such derivative works in any medium and for any purpose,
   provided that no such derivative work shall be presented, displayed,
   or published in a manner that states or implies that it is part of
   this RFC or any other IETF Document."

I understand why we did what we did for RFC6716 (the specification for OPUS,
where the additional grants were to deal with the code being normative).

I do not think it is the right thing to do for this document.

Could you spell out in a bit more detail what you see as being different
for this document, and what your concerns are with either (or both!) the
letter and the intent in this case.

I really would like to understand your concerns, and if necessary have
this evolve into language that does cover everyone's needs and fears as
comprehensively as we can.

We've got nearly 4 years behind us now with no terrible abuse of this
grant having occurred for 6716, but if you think it's less than ideal,
I'd like us to consider ways we can still improve on that.

  Cheers,
  Ron