Re: [codec] Last Call: <draft-ietf-codec-oggopus-10.txt> (Ogg Encapsulation for the Opus Audio Codec) to Proposed Standard

2016-01-29 10:34:36

Hi Joel,

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 03:23:37PM -0500, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
The point of doing the work to create an RFC is to reach agreements on
what the words should be.

Yes, and we spent a lot of time and put a lot of work into making sure
we picked the best words to clearly describe what it was that we wanted
to define.

Which is exactly why we want as many people as possible to reuse those
words *precisely*, rather than having to rewrite them or paraphrase them
willy-nilly, when they need them to appear in some other context where
reproducing the full document in its entirety would not be appropriate
or helpful for perfect understanding.

If I want to provide a function in a library which allows the caller to
construct or manipulate an OggOpus header structure, it would be much
better if I can quote the relevant parts of this document directly, with
some surrounding text that talks about the other constraints and return
codes of my function, than it would be for me to invent new ways of
describing that (for no other reason than I'm not permitted to cut and
paste that and manipulate it to fit my documentation coherently without
this extra grant).

I think you and I are in violent agreement here that we want these words
to be preserved as perfectly as possible everywhere they are used in
reference to this standard.

Saying after that "oh, but anyone else can change these words any way
they want" just does not work for me.

Fortunately, that's not what we are saying.  We expressly state that
you can not call anything you extracted from this an RFC.

We don't want people to misrepresent this, because we already spend
enough time correcting people who accidentally made some error in
their implementation.

We don't think that situation would be improved by *forcing* people
to change these words to use them in their own descriptions and
library/application documentation.

More generally, I think we need to establish that this is not how we work,
rather than letting folks do this more and more often.

In terms of documentation, I am actually very concerned with this apparent
effort for us to support documenting of protocols and behaviors that do not
comply with the RFC.  That is not our purpose.

Again, I think we are in violent agreement with what I *think* is your
real concern here.  You just appear to be misunderstanding what the
"apparent effort" is aimed at doing here - and how by not allowing
people to use selected and context appropriate parts of these words
verbatim, you are actually forcing them to create precisely the terrible
outcome that you fear.

Because the only other alternative to that, is they completely ignore
the licence grant on this document, and we turn a blind eye to that
and pretend they didn't do that and don't prosecute them for it.

Which isn't a good outcome either, for lots of reasons.  I know a lot
of corporate licence grants work that way, but I don't think we win
at this by forcing people who do respect licences to act in a way that
we seem to agree we all would rather they didn't (and so rewrite this
document in their own words which they can then redistribute).