Re: long-term archiving

2016-01-28 19:34:59
Hmm.  I'm a little late to the party here.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:

The confusion on this is mixing 'status' with 'availability'.  The
fact that a document is no longer considered active does not mean
that it should become inaccessible.

That's a great point; in fact, there are digital preservation folks
that champion dark archives, but my experience with them is that
they get full of cruft - when an archive is accessible then omissions,
repetitions, truncations etc. are more likely to be recognized and
corrected.

Essentially, that reduces to requiring that future researchers act
now to preserve ephemeral IETF materials that they might wind up
needing.

That, of course, isn't going to happen.

Typically, digital preservationists require three or more copies, with
checksums, that are independently maintained (different administrators
and software suites), each with institutional plans for how materials
would be migrated if the institution fails.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker
<phill(_at_)hallambaker(_dot_)com>
wrote:

In short, just work out ways to preserve the bits. If you keep the
bits you can be reasonably confident that the technology will be there
to read them.

Sadly, this is not the case - there's a recent podcast from 'On The
Media' that Interviews Vint Cerf among others about digital
preservation.  It's tricky.

You need to keep a bit of metadata, even for simple text files.  Here
are some encodings you can run into:

   $ iconv -l  | wc -w
     1173

However, that being said, IETF doesn't really have much in the way of
binary data (word perfect files, spreadsheet data, etc).

For the IETF data,, it's mostly about making sure the bits are periodically
migrated to up-to-date media.