Re: New Non-WG Mailing List: Ietf-and-github -- Discussion of using GitHub in IETF activities, particularly for Working Groups

2016-01-28 13:38:39

On Jan 28, 2016, at 9:02 AM, Bob Hinden
<bob(_dot_)hinden(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

To say this another way, using github (or other collaboration tools) is great
for authors or a design team to work together to develop an Internet draft.
I do this myself.  I think the dividing line is that drafts should continue
to be submitted via the datatracker as they are now and working groups be
using the datatracker to do their work.  I would be very concerned if working
groups started to do their work outside of the datatracker.

Agreed.  It’s also worth noting that any addition to a document - made in a
‘shared document repository’ that's available to the working group as a whole -
is quite clearly an “IETF Contribution” as defined by RFC 3979.  We need to be
sure that all such edits - including any subsequent deletions or modifications
of added text - will get recorded in an ‘audit trail’, and can be made
available in response to a subpoena.

There are people out there who think that I’m “stuck in the '90s” (yes,
people’s IETF-related postings to social media are publicly-searchable; you
live by the sword, you die by the sword :-), but there are real dangers if we
start allowing collaborative work within IETF working groups to be conducted
using third-party services.

        Ross.