Re: New Non-WG Mailing List: Ietf-and-github -- Discussion of using GitHub in IETF activities, particularly for Working Groups

2016-01-29 08:12:18
Hi Bob,

All the way down...

On 1/28/16 6:02 PM, Bob Hinden wrote:
Eliot,

On Jan 28, 2016, at 4:55 AM, Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

Jari,

I have no conceptual problem with github being used for draft
development or being integrated in our tools process for state changes,
or archiving of discussions, but I would maintain strong objections to
any approach that would lead to bifurcation of discussion on a topic.
That is- the technology and our relationships with those providing the
service should be conducive to a single integrated conversation on a topic.
To say this another way, using github (or other collaboration tools) is great
for authors or a design team to work together to develop an Internet draft.
I do this myself.  I think the dividing line is that drafts should continue
to be submitted via the datatracker as they are now and working groups be
using the datatracker to do their work.  I would be very concerned if working
groups started to do their work outside of the datatracker.

Yes, and. Discussion of technical issues should remain normatively
within a single platform.  If we want that to be github, okay. But today
it's email.  Doing both would at first glance sound like reaching out to
people who prefer different modes of communications, but at the end of
the day proves quite difficult for those who are actually trying to keep
track of multiple threads in a conversation.  Also, any platform should
be able to support our processes, particular those that help us address
abuse.

Eliot