Re: [dhcwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dhc-anonymity-profile-06.txt> (Anonymity profile for DHCP clients) to Proposed Standard

2016-02-16 01:38:47
On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 2:26 PM, Christian Huitema
<huitema(_at_)huitema(_dot_)net>
wrote:

Well, section 4 of draft-ietf-dhc-anonymity-profile-07 says:

   The choice between the stateful and stateless scenarios depends on
   flag and prefix options published by the "Router Advertisement"
   messages of local routers, as specified in [RFC4861].  When these
   options enable stateless address configuration hosts using the
   anonymity profile SHOULD choose it over stateful address
   configuration, because stateless configuration requires fewer
   information disclosures than stateful configuration.

That seems pretty close from what you want, at least as far as "stateful
DHCPv6" is concerned.

Urg. That statement is pretty hard to understand. In fact, I misunderstood
it for a full 10 minutes until someone explained it to me. I think I
understand it now, and if my understanding is indeed correct, then I would
suggest you clarify it as follows:

   When these options enable stateless address configuration (i.e., when
   the A flag in a Prefix Information Option is set to 1) hosts using the
   anonymity profile SHOULD perform Stateless Address Configuration
   and SHOULD NOT use stateful DHCPv6, because stateless configuration
   requires fewer information disclosures than stateful configuration.