Re: [dhcwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dhc-anonymity-profile-06.txt> (Anonymity profile for DHCP clients) to Proposed Standard

2016-02-22 18:09:33
On 02/22/2016 08:51 PM, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 7:18 AM, Fernando Gont
<fgont(_at_)si6networks(_dot_)com
<mailto:fgont(_at_)si6networks(_dot_)com>> wrote:

    >    When these options enable stateless address configuration (i.e., when
    >    the A flag in a Prefix Information Option is set to 1) hosts using
the
    >    anonymity profile SHOULD perform stateless address configuration
    >    and SHOULD NOT use stateful DHCPv6, because stateless configuration
    >
    > I don't see how that text is different from the text that's already in
    > the draft, except it actually provides clear guidance. Why not use it?

    The above text (or any similar text already in the I-D) suggests that
    this document should be updating RFC4862. Because it is not only
    specifying that to do when you do DHCPv6, but also whether to do
    SLAAC/DHCPv6 in the fist place.

I don't see why. I don't recall a statement in RFC 4862 specifying
whether hosts should use one or the other.

But the authors are making such statement here. i.e., if you are going
to implement SLAAC/DHCPv6, then this statement affects your
implementation. Hence, an appropriate tag should be included (i.e., such
that if I look at RFC4862 or RFC3315, it's clear that I should look at
this document, too).

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont