Re: ietf.org unaccessible for Tor users

2016-03-16 14:47:32
On 3/16/16 14:37, Eliot Lear wrote:
On 3/16/16 8:34 PM, Adam Roach wrote:
Sure. There are plenty of negative aspects of any technology. I'm
making an assertion that we need to be aware that we're throwing the
baby out with the bathwater when we take steps to block Tor (such as
engaging CloudFlare's DDoS protection), while you seem to be willfully
ignorant of the presence of the baby at all.
It's not bathwater, but a cesspool, and I do not know just how much baby
was ever there.

As is the nature of a service used by people who need to stay anonymous for their own safety, you're not going to find a lot in the way of data or anecdote here. However, there is a good, high-profile case with which you may have some passing familiarity:

" Snowden and Poitras quickly set up a more secure channel for communication. Poitras created an anonymous email account, doing so with the Tor Browser that masks your identity on the web, and she created a new GPG key, just for communicating with Citizenfour. This was advisable because, if she were under surveillance by the NSA or any other intelligence agency, they might have compromised her known accounts, and she would prefer for there to be no trace of her true name in the correspondence with this secrecy-seeking stranger."

(from https://theintercept.com/2014/10/28/smuggling-snowden-secrets/)

So... not zero?

/a