Re: Remote only meetings? [Re: Concerns about Singapore]

2016-04-12 11:02:08
This is all true, but the idea that it can't be replicated online is silly.
  How did you arrange to have lunch with these people?   You went looking
for them, rounded them up, and sat down to lunch.   You can do that online
as well.

It is certainly true that random conversation in the halls can also happen
and lead to useful consequences, but having taken heavy advantage of
"running into people" in BA, I can tell you that a lot of it was
deliberate, and the parts that weren't probably would have been triggered
by WG meetings even if they hadn't been triggered by just running into
someone familiar in the lobby of the Hilton.

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 11:42 AM, Joel M. Halpern
<jmh(_at_)joelhalpern(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I believe that there would be a real cost in moving to remote-only
meetings.  Even putting aside the time zone difficulties, and the reduced
effectiveness of in-meeting interaction, there are aspects of face-to-face
interaction taht current remote technologies simply do not capture.
It was very helpful in BA (and at many previous IETF meetings) to be able
to find time to talk with a small number of people concerned about an
aspect of one working group.  I did that over meals, breaks, etc.  It
sorted out issues far more effectively than email conversations (in several
cases, we had tried to sort it out via email.  10 minutes face-to-face
clarified what was being missed, and found a good path forward.)

Even in-meeting, when the meeting works well it takes advantage of the
nature of face-to-face interactions.  Admittedly, many sessions do not need
this, but many do.

Yours,
Joel