Re: Remote only meetings? [Re: Concerns about Singapore]

2016-04-12 14:09:06
Hi,

I agree that f2f meetings are best.
If not for the ad-hoc meetings, many of us would have
stopped going to IETFs a long time ago.  The official
meeting slots have devolved into status updates and slide presentations.

But don't think for a second that 20 hours of travel each way and thousands
of dollars in expenses are easy on anybody, As the remote tools keep getting
better, many of us will be asking if IETF travel is really worth it.

Andy

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 9:15 AM, Joel M. Halpern
<jmh(_at_)joelhalpern(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Ted, you missed my point.  Yes, I can arrange a call with the relevant
people.  And I frequently do.
It is harder, but that would be acceptable.

The important part is that such calls are MUCH less effective than
face-to-face discussions.  There are lots of well-known reasons for this.

And no, inc ase it was not obvious, without the face-to-face meeting,
there is no way to arrange such face-to-face meetings.

Yes, we should work to make remote participation more effective.  Doing
away with the face-to-face meetings reminds me of the old SF story of the
ballet dancers who were forced to dance wearing extra weights, to be "fair"
to the less talented dancers.

Yours,
Joel