Re: Remote only meetings? [Re: Concerns about Singapore]

2016-04-12 12:03:27
On 4/12/16 3:57 AM, chopps(_at_)chopps(_dot_)org wrote:
Rich Kulawiec <rsk(_at_)gsp(_dot_)org> writes:
Because it works exclusively for the elite, privileged few.  (And no
doubt: it works quite well.)  But it's the antithesis of inclusion
and diversity -- and I think those qualities are increasingly necessary.

But this is not how the IETF operates.

Actually, it's very much how the IETF operates in practice,
particularly with meeting participation becoming increasingly
expensive and with increased participation from "standards
professionals."  If you've been to meetings you'll have
noticed some chairs taking votes in meetings (rather than
relying on consensus processes) and saying that they'll
ratify or confirm that decision on the mailing list (if
they remember - sometimes they don't).

In some sense the Singapore announcement felt to me as if
we'd completed the transition to plain ol' standards body,
distinguishable from the others by what we say rather than
by what we do.

One of the things I've been thinking about over the past
<n> years is how to reduce our reliance on meetings, and
I'm overdue on writing up a draft on it.  I think it's
an important question, since de-emphasizing (not eliminating)
meetings is one thing we can do to keep participation more
open and accessible.

Melinda