Re: Remote only meetings? [Re: Concerns about Singapore]

2016-04-13 06:51:18
Brian,

On 2016-04-13 10:08, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Cherry-picking a few points:
On 13/04/2016 00:46, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
And the difficulties/expense of travel are only going to get worse
for the forseeable future: they're not going to get better.

That is indisputable.

On 13/04/2016 00:49, Loa Andersson wrote:

Let us say that we set aside enough time about half way between two IETF
meetings and schedule all the meetings, as requested by wg chairs or
people in charge of other meetings, as a long series.

That won't work with 4-monthly meetings as today. It might work with
6-monthly meetings.

I'm inclined to agree. It would be, unless we are willing to throw
over board the tradition with 3 f2f meetings per year the same as saying
that remote IETF meetings are not on the agenda.

There are many reasons why we need the f2f meetings, I would not be
willing to give that mode of operation up.

/Loa

Let us assume that the wg meetings is on average 1.5 hours, scheduling
100 wg meetings would require 150 hours.

I think that's optimistic. Remote meetings go more slowly due to technology
glitches and the need for more formal patterns of Q/A. It's still faster than
email though (see Alia's message).