Re: Interim step on meetings site feedback for sites currently under active consideration

2016-04-21 12:31:56
Hi, Nalini,

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 11:40 AM,
<nalini(_dot_)elkins(_at_)insidethestack(_dot_)com> wrote:

But, IMHO, I think a fruitful discussion might be: where do we see all
this going?  That is, what do we think the IETF will look like in 3 years,
5 years, 10 years?  The reason I say this is because I believe that informs
our thinking.   Any business plans for (at least) 3 - 5 years down the
road, why don't we at the IETF talk about it?

I don't know who noticed, or did not notice,
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-arkko-ietf-trends-and-observations/
(people who didn't notice it were probably preparing for IETF 95, which is
a reasonable alibi).

That draft is input to - not output from - people at the IETF talking about
this, and it steers comments and feedback to the IETF mailing list, so I'd
encourage people to comment and provide feedback.

Further, Jari has discussion of the feedback we've seen thus far on the
agenda for the IESG retreat next month, and Stephen and I have the
semi-related "all decisions are/are not on mailing lists" and "people do/do
not need to attend IETF face-to-face meetings to participate effectively"
threads also on the agenda.

I don't know/don't remember what gets published after IESG retreats (when I
was IESG scribe, Russ as IETF chair published summary minutes, but that was
years ago), but anyone could ask for an update before, or during, the IETF
96 plenary open mike session ... including remote participants, of course
:-) ...

More broadly, I don't know what's on the IAB and IAOC retreat agendas (all
of these are still being put together now), but they may also be discussing
relevant aspects of a "business plan".

Thanks,

Spencer, as 1/15th of the IESG, but only 1/15th