Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-22 22:09:09
I can't write as eloquently as Ted, Melinda, Jon, and several others have,
but I want to add another voice for trying to move IETF 100 out of
Singapore.

This Singapore law dictates unequal treatment of some active IETF meeting
participants simply for living their normal lives.  Melinda's latest email
says it very well:  "if people in opposite-sex relationship can and do
bring their families, it's pretty clear what label the inability of same-sex
partnered participants to do the same would
​ f​
all under."

​It's in the hands of an authoritarian government to prosecute and maybe
imprison our colleagues for their normal lives, while others in the IETF do
not face this risk. This isn't the same as inconvenience.  ​
It could result in imprisonment of individuals for travel plans that are
exactly the same as other attendees
​. ​
 ​
 I appreciate that the IAOC has resolved to consult experts on travel in
future,
​and try to avoid this happening again, and I ​
thank you for this.
​If there are insurmountable reasons why we must stick to Singapore for
IETF 100, please explain.  ​
Count me as someone who thinks it is worth some cost to make the change.​

Allison

On 21 May 2016 at 17:38, Peterson, Jon