Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-24 08:43:22
I am not for or against to have IETF 100 in Singapore.

But i would like to post a real issue here.

A PhD student (with an Indian Passport) was quite excited for having a
paper accepted at a Conference in the US.
After having submitted his passport for Visa at the US embassy, they
took it for a background check and they returned it to him after one
month. He could not attend the conference, but he did get the visa after
one month. Just imagine if something happend to his family back in India
during the one month period, he could not travel because the passport
was with the US embassy. The only way to contact the US embassy in Paris
was by phone and everytime you had to give your credit card number, and
they took 18 euros for each call.

Hence, my suggestion is that IETF should take the visa issue also into
account when considering a venue.

Sandoche.