Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-23 03:33:34
[ ... deleted ...]

It's in the hands of an authoritarian government to prosecute and maybe
imprison our colleagues for their normal lives, while others in the IETF do
not face this risk. This isn't the same as inconvenience.
It could result in imprisonment of individuals for travel plans that are
exactly the same as other attendees

I would like to have specific references to any of those that you refer to
above that was done in Singapore. To the best of my knowledge (and I
live in Singapore), there has never been anyone prosecuted for what you
are saying. Do, please, provide references. I would want to know.

For that matter, and this is something I brought up previously as well,
if there is indeed active prosecution, how would you explain http://pinkdot.sg
happening in Singapore year in, year out? It is a very public event and
no one was prosecuted. Zilch.

Yes, there are people - almost all of them are with a religious agenda -
who make noise from their world view. See [1], [2]. There was a debate
in the Singapore parliament in 2011 abour repealing the section 377A of
the Penal Code (which we inherited from the British) which criminalises
sex between men. The Prime Minister's response is here [3]

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Khong
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy1Szv_pC2o
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX_8ar5wnmk

There were concerns expressed by some that if their loved ones
visit Singapore and have some medical issue to be addressed,

Again, to the best of what I know, given the fact that Singapore touts
itself as a medical hub for Asia, if there is ever anyone was denied
access to their loved one just because they are part of a gay relationship,
it would be well know. I have not heard of a single instance of that.

So, please relook your objections to having IETF in Singapore. We are
not prefect. We are, just as most countries, a work-in-progress. But in
this particular issue, it is clear that you have nothing to fear or be concerned
about.

Harish