Re: A couple of meta points -- IETF 100, Singapore, onwards

2016-05-23 21:11:42

On 23/05/16 22:13, Alissa Cooper wrote:
I raise this in particular because Cisco happens to be the host for
IETF 100. In chatting with folks around the company, it didn't seem
to me that anyone had been contacted by the IAOC about the
possibility of helping to offset costs associated with relocating the
meeting, prior to you sending your mail last week.

I think that is a point that the IAOC can and really must specifically
address. I don't need to know the content of the communication between
the IAOC and the meeting sponsor, but the IAOC do I think need to tell
us if there was communication between the IAOC (or a subcommittee of, or
other body reporting to, the IAOC) and the meeting sponsor for IETF-100
about the controversy over this meeting and the potential practicality
and/or costs for switching it to another venue.

I don't ask in an attempt to catch folks out or cast aspersions as to
individual folks' capabilities, so I'm not trying to apportion blame.
I'm really wondering if maybe a) the IAOC don't know the answer, (thus
calling into question whether internal IAOC structures are actually
blocking transparency), or b) if the IAOC does know that discussion
with the IETF-100 sponsor happened, then I just don't get why that
wasn't communicated to the community already (calling into question the
apparent intent to switch to a more open mode of operation), or c) if
there was no such communication, then...really? And doesn't that seem
to imply that structures within/reporting-to the IAOC don't seem to
be sensitive to community concerns or even IAOC statements?

I hope there's a (d) answer though, as none of (a), (b) or (c) reflect
very well on how the IAOC is operating. (And again, I'm not trying to
criticise any individual - I think if there are such problems, they are
likely inherent how the IAOC-confidential-by-default setup and similar
systems naturally evolve over a decade or so.)

S.