Re: A couple of meta points -- IETF 100, Singapore, onwards

2016-05-25 09:11:31

On Wed, 25 May 2016, John C Klensin wrote:

Ole,

Since we seem to be waxing philosophical here, three complementary
rhetorical questions:

(1) The easiest place for Chinese citizens to attend a meeting, with
a guarantee of no visa problems, is (obviously) China.  A corollary
to our question above is that we should be holding additional
meetings in China (some "somewhere in Asia that might be relatively
friendly to Chinese passport holders").  How would you balance that
reason for planning more meetings in China against the disadvantages
of doing so, disadvantages that include uncertainty about visas for
others (see below), air quality issues, questions about availability
of open networks (at least for attendees staying in other than the
official hotel and possibly for the general population), etc.?
Note that inverting that question turns into exactly your question
above about very large numbers of US and Canadian attendees versus
visa issues.

As you know, last time we went to China it was only after a long
debate, and as such I would expect us to have a similar debate
if it happened again for all the reasons you list. Since all of those
issues (including in-bound visas) affect every non-local attendee,
I would expect the community to come to a go or no-go decision based
in part by the perceived number of people negatively affected.

I don't have any comments on your other points.

Ole

     john

[1] "Unpleasant" including high fees, requirements to schedule
f2f interviews, long lead times, general discourtesy, demands
for unreasonable levels of documentation, and general "you need
to prove your innocence beyond any plausible doubt" behavior.

[2] For the record, I've been timed out on an application for a
Chinese visa after getting several of them before and after.  I
have every reason to believe that the main reasons was someone's
(or some institution's) idea of reciprocity.   But timeouts for
US passport-holders trying to go to China are not a theoretical
issue (fwiw, I've also been timed out by Brazil -- nothing
unique about China or the US-China relationship).