Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-24 16:26:48
Hi Alia,

The fact that we are getting up to this debate, means that the IAOC is taking
in consideration the issue. Otherwise, the immediate response will have been
“sorry, we sympathize with your family issue, but at no means can that
situation be taken in consideration for even a simple study to move the meeting
somewhere else”. I may be wrong, of course, but is what it looks like.

Nothing personal, believe me, but I must say that you don’t know at all if this
affects me or not, you don’t know my personal/familiar circumstances and if
doing the meeting in Singapore or an alternative place is better for me and my
circumstances. I just take it from another principle. I’m there to work and
either I go to the meeting for work (and prioritize the work), or if I’ve a
familiar problem and is in clash with my work, tell my employer and find an
alternative solution instead of going there. What I can’t definitively do is to
ask for a venue reconsideration, unless the problem affecting me is also
affecting a big proportion of the rest of the attendees.

I fully respect inclusion and minorities. I don’t like democracy in the sense
that majority always win. Isn’t like that, but when we have a new fact in the
table, we should consider it for the future, and balance it with the rest of
the possible considerations from every other minority, and again, put on top
the maximum priority of the reason for the meetings: Getting the work done for
as much people as we can.

Reading other emails from Ted, he already had a few examples, that reflect what
I’ve in mind, so I’m not going to repeat them.

Saludos,
Jordi