Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-25 15:56:56

On May 24, 2016, at 7:14 PM, Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 5/24/16 2:20 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
I said this already a few messages ago. If instead of the IETF is a
business meeting that your boss tell you need to go (at least in my
country, and here comes what you said about different cultures), you
will have no choice: a) Go there b) You’re fired, maybe unless a
colleague can make it for you and your boss accept it But
definitively, you will not be able to argue in front of a court to
defend your job that you can’t go there because your family need to
go there with you and that country don’t allow it.

Allow me to suggest that you know no such thing, and that
you're presenting a strawman argument that may, in fact,
be completely false.  US companies tend to come down on the
side of supporting diversity and rejecting bigotry - take
a look at the response to North Carolina's HB2.

My employer has in their code of business conduct strong support for exactly
what Melinda is saying. I do not believe anyone at my employer would be fired
for being unwilling to put themselves in a position of sexual discrimination.
My experience is that most large international companies have similar policies.

It's fine to make conjectures, but please couch it in
terms of "I think this is what would happen."  I believe
that in this case you'd be incorrect.

Melinda