Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-24 17:21:12
Be sure that at no means I want to discourage anyone to participate in the IETF
meetings, or giving less priority to few than majorities, but in the scope of
the work itself.

I guess the main problem is our disagreement regarding that a participant of
the IETF has no other choice than
1) Go to a meeting and bring his family
vs
2) Not going to the meeting or not bringing his family.

I said this already a few messages ago. If instead of the IETF is a business
meeting that your boss tell you need to go (at least in my country, and here
comes what you said about different cultures), you will have no choice:
a) Go there
b) You’re fired, maybe unless a colleague can make it for you and your boss
accept it
But definitively, you will not be able to argue in front of a court to defend
your job that you can’t go there because your family need to go there with you
and that country don’t allow it.

I know seems quite simplistic approach, but what I’m saying is that as much as
we can we should support families to go to IETF meetings as much as possible,
but not necessarily change our decisions (even less if already taken and
engaged in contracts), If in some cases that’s not feasible/convenient, unless
the situation affects a big enough group that will mean the work can’t be done.

Regards,
Jordi