Re: [Recentattendees] Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100

2016-05-26 19:13:38
On 05/26/2016 02:44 PM, Margaret Cullen wrote:

You seem to be advocating for an IETF that meets all over the world,
while people who are unwilling to travel to those places for reasons
of safety or ethics would stay home and participate remotely.  While
there might be some (as yet unquantified, see below) advantage to
that approach, it would have the _hugely unfortunate effect_ that the
most privileged people in the world (rich, white, U.S./European,
straight men) might be the only ones who are willing/able to attend
every meeting in person.  Given that our leadership selection process
depends on in-person attendance, both as a way to select nomcom
members and as a requirement for leadership positions, that would run
counter to our efforts to make the IETF a more diverse organization
across many lines.

Maybe what run counters making the IETF a more diverse organization is
the requirement to attend meetings in person in the first place?

Also, while I enjoy our World Tour as much as the next girl, the
meeting in Buenos Aires had very poor attendance from regular
attendees, and this made it harder to get work done, IMO.

So this sounds like there's some form of diversity that is desirable,
and others that aren't (e.g., geographic diversity)? e.g., why don't you
see this "world tour" (which for a BA-resident wasn't actually a tour in
the first place) as something that goes in favor of diversity? Or is it
just that only some forms/expressions of diversity are desirable?

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks