Re: [Recentattendees] Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100

2016-05-27 10:53:01

On the question of sharing a site before signing a contract — since the Buenos Aires plenary, the IAOC has asked for input before inking contracts. That is what prompted the creation of the venue-selection maildrop address, and one (I expect, soon to be two) solicitations for input on particular places.[0]

There are always challenges of finding the right timing to ask for input, and going forward we are going to have to refine how and when we do that. Getting input before signing is obviously better than after, but getting input when you are otherwise ready to sign is still late. Asking for input while things are still completely hypothetical is potentially too soon (can get people spun up about things that won’t work out for practical reasons).

But, yes, this is a good idea, it would have saved everyone a lot of grief if we’d done it before, and we’re working on it now.

Leslie.
[0] We had a contract ready for signature for a site we had every reason to believe was acceptable. Having just had it explained to us in short words that the community has more perspectives :-) , we sought them. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Leslie Daigle
Principal, ThinkingCat Enterprises LLC
ldaigle(_at_)thinkingcat(_dot_)com