Re: IETF 100, IAOC perspective

2016-06-08 11:10:40

--On Wednesday, June 08, 2016 17:17 +0200 JORDI PALET MARTINEZ
<jordi(_dot_)palet(_at_)consulintel(_dot_)es> wrote:

But we don't care they don't want it. We should try and
make it present in our social, plenary, etc.

As I said before, there is nothing to hide. This debate has
been public all the time.

Jordi,

I tend to agree with at least the general direction of Yoav's
comments.  We need to appreciate what attention to the issues
and these conversations have accomplished already, e.g., the
decisions vetting future sites, commitments to more transparency
of the process, and generally increased community sensitivity to
the issues..  Given that the IAOC has decided that we should do
IETF 100 in Singapore, the IETF should go there and concentrate
on getting work done, not on getting in the face of the local
government.

If, as individuals, we don't like the IAOC decision or feel that
going to Singapore is just too dangerous or uncomfortable (for
whatever reason), we should vote with our feet and stay away.
That is not only (at least IMO) the right ethical move, but the
budget hit might help the IAOC remain focused for the long term
and a sufficient spending hit relative to whatever was expected
actually is the sort of thing I think the Singapore government
is likely to notice.

best,
   john