Re: IETF Endowment update

2016-07-14 10:23:57
John,

Jason¹s post was most helpful with respect to the history of the Endowment.

Of course you are entirely right that our ³refresh² of the Endowment could
have been handled and highlighted in a way to provide better opportunity
for upfront input, ensure adequate discussion and build better buy-in. I
take responsibility for the clumsy start‹executed in my rookie year.  The
IETF¹s business model is under pressure, and we got a lot of input that
the initial somewhat low response rate to the endowment was its fuzzy
mission. Those two factors meant we had to repurpose. That said, I
understand and agree with your principle position.

I can use some help on the level of interest and on what platforms are
best to engage as we move through what I hope will be a major effort to
fully fund the Endowment. As you are aware, the Endowment is intended to
create a multi-million dollar, restricted fund‹with an initial goal of a
$20m corpus‹from which the earnings would be distributed to the IETF for
its exclusive use for its purposes and programs.

ISOC has been working for the last year to get momentum on creating a
substantial corpus to establish the strength and viability of this
approach. (The Endowment currently has only $106k invested). We started,
in a quiet period, to gather initial support. We¹re still working with the
current supporters to announce this, but we expect to have some good news
on that front very shortly.

Importantly, the Endowment is intended as a long-term investment and is
not intended to, in any way, substitute for ISOC¹s ongoing operational
support for IETF. I¹ve been thinking of a way for the IETF community to
get more information about ISOC¹s IETF-financing operation in general, and
for us to have a discussion about the specifics such as the Endowment.
Perhaps we can setup a dedicated session on that soon.

Look forward to any thoughts on this.

Kathy