Re: DMARC and ietf.org

2016-07-19 10:48:42
On 7/19/2016 5:00 PM, Russ Housley wrote:
Outgoing Mailman email still has the problem.  Mailman has an option we can
enable to force DMARC-spoofing sender rewriting of all outgoing Mailman email.
If we enable that option, the From: field rewriting and could be disruptive in
unknown ways.

We know that outgoing alias email still has the problem.  The Secretariat is
did some experiments with some additional headers (Resent-*) to alias mail.
They were not able to determine whether this headers helped destination servers
or not.

The major issue is for mail sent through a mailing list, from authors whose From: domain has a DMARC policy calling for dire action (reject or quarantine) if DMARC does not validate at the final recipient's side.

To overcome this, the ad hoc convention for mailing lists is to rewrite the From: header field, using an address belonging to the mailing list -- ie, no longer using the author's address -- and modifying the Display (friendly) string to /add/ something like "- via <listname>". In addition the Reply-to: header field is set to be the original author's address, so that direct replies from a recipient will go back to the proper place.

When organized by author address, this means that an actual author's mail is listed differently depending upon whether their messages are direct to the recipient, versus whether they went through a mailing list. It likely also means differential listing when sorted on the Display string...

The modified display string will now have the extra visual cruft and there is no empirical basis for justifying that cruft, in terms of user behavior or any other safety and security. That is, it's an entirely logical modification, but there is no basis for believing that it is useful. (This is an unfortunate fact of usability life.)

There is an effort (ARC) to develop a capability that might let DMARC-related messages survive transit of a mailing list, but that effort is still nascent.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking