Re: IAOC -- looking for committee volunteers

2016-07-20 06:52:32
I think it's great that we're drawing community members into the IAOC discussions.

One of the things that I find missing from this invitation is an indication of the level of commitment required to participate: how much time investment will be required? Does the position include travel; and, if so, is it mandatory? What I'm most worried about here is that people are going to have their own assumptions around these kind of requirements, which might discourage exactly those most capable of introducing diversity into the IAOC committees. (To draw a clear and straight line: the people who can comfortably assume that they can take on such load without worrying about resources are exactly the same kind of people who currently comprise the IAOC).

Also, while I understand that it's something of a dead horse, I think one of the things that the IETF 100 discussions threw into relief is that the existing committees are quite homogeneous: unless I'm mistaken, all nine Meetings Committee members are white males from the US or Western Europe. Adding community volunteers, if done right, may serve to increase diversity; however, by sheer numbers, adding one or two people to a group of nine will make, at best, a very small change to its composition. Has the IAOC considered perhaps replacing existing committee members rather than adding new members? It seems that this could broaden the impact of community involvement and strengthen the impact of improved diversity that may result.

/a