Re: IAOC -- looking for committee volunteers

2016-07-20 07:16:08
On 7/20/2016 1:52 PM, Adam Roach wrote:
I think it's great that we're drawing community members into the IAOC
discussions.

One of the things that I find missing from this invitation is an
indication of the level of commitment required to participate: how much
time investment will be required? Does the position include travel;...

I'm one of the current Meetings Committee members. Participation does not consume very much time and membership does not require a blood draw.

There is a telephone meeting for an hour, mostly once a month. There are summary assessments of candidate venues to review and discuss and recommend, an casual review of various meeting statistics. Occasionally a sticky subject pops up and needs deeper discussion. So an average meeting is a mundane venue-selection discussion and only very occasionally a profound IETF existential discussion.

There is no travel associated with membership. (Obviously there is an assumption of familiarity with IETF venue issues, but I've missed a number of recent meetings and while that meant I didn't have a first-hand 'feel' for specific issues discussed about the venues I did not visit, I don't think it's affected my ability to contribute.

Adding community volunteers, if done right, may serve to
increase diversity; however, by sheer numbers, adding one or two people
to a group of nine will make, at best, a very small change to its
composition.

In a group like this, a single voice is often able to be well-heard.

To the extent that the goal is some sort of 'complete' representation of the potentially-infinite range of diverse perspectives, obviously that's not possible, while still keeping it a manageable, small group.

My own view is that diversity in small groups is best served merely by making sure that various members really are different in almost any variety of interesting and meaningful ways. For example, I think that's why the other members continue to put up with my own participation...

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking