Re: IETF 97 - Registration and Hotel Reservations Open Now!

2016-08-12 13:20:47
FWIW, I got a Saturday-to-Saturday booking on the first try, about a half
hour after the announcement came out--at that point a lot of rooms were
already gone, including all of the executive rooms.  I suspect what's going
on is that the reservation system isn't handling fragmentation very well.
We can complain about that all we want, but it's simply out of the scope of
something that the IETF can get in a contract with a hotel to try to fix
their IT infrastructure.   The fact that we see this a lot is most likely
because we are interacting with the same system the same way a lot.

The only way to make this work better would be for the IETF to set up a
system where people could bid in advance on what they want, and contention
could be resolved with a random number generator rather than who got there
first.   This would be a lot fairer for people in non-US time zones, and
would probably generate a _lot_ more discussion on the IETF mailing list. :)

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>