Re: IETF 97 - Registration and Hotel Reservations Open Now!

2016-08-12 15:20:43

The way it works at the moment seems to be that if you are lucky
enough to be doing an email check at the right time and book at once
you are OK, otherwise you miss out

I've been wondering about how to approach this topic in a way that makes sense for the IETF list and it occurs to me that it might be worth remembering that our industry is based on statistical multiplexing, and that's about probabilities and timing...

If we make sure there is a room for everyone who might want one, we will allocate too many and will waste quite a bit of money, due to the guarantees we have to make to the hotel.

So for practical purposes the room block needs to be of a size that is likely to be exceeded... at some point... almost always.

Currently, that 'some point' is measured in minutes, or at best small numbers of hours.

My question, therefore, is how large must the window be, before all the rooms typically sell out?

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking