RE: [dmarc-ietf] Identification of an email author (was - Re: IETF Mailing Lists and DMARC)

2016-11-04 15:22:18
I think technical fans of email perhaps attach more import to the
rfc5322.from field than
does the average user.  Certainly, downsides exist.  That said, facebook
notifications
today all come from the same per-user address, with the actual commenter as
just the
display name.  Various forum software, email ticketing software, the email
notifications
from various web based messaging systems, they all fail to apply authorship
in how you say.

I think of myself as a technical email guy, but I’m surprised at how much of an
average user I am. If I were to get an email from someone (or I guess myself)
on this list like this:

From: Terry Zink via IETF-DMARC <dmarc(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>

This already happens from other lists I am on, I don’t think twice about it. I
sort of even think “Hey, that works better for me!”

And if there were something like this in other headers that retains the
original senders:

Sender: dmarc <dmarc-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>

Then so much the better, I don’t even notice them unless I hit Reply. As
Brandon says, I’ve already been conditioned to look for the same email address,
for example I get this from LinkedIn:

From: Example Person (via LinkedIn) <messages-noreply(_at_)linkedin(_dot_)com>

I get that some people don’t like how the From: address no longer reflects the
“real” sender, but I don’t just use the email address to identify a sender. I
use the Display Name, too, and putting someone’s name and the source into the
Display Name is helpful.

That doesn’t mean there aren’t better options. But this workaround – at least
for me – is not that painful.

--Terry