Re: [dmarc-ietf] Identification of an email author (was - Re: IETF Mailing Lists and DMARC)

2016-11-07 16:47:21
On 11/7/2016 11:41 AM, Franck Martin wrote:
The EAI WG found it was fine to remove the obligation to have an email
address part in the mandatory RFC5322.From header, leaving only the
display part to assert the original author.

We had that relaxed permission for From:, in the original From/Sender/Reply-to specification of rfc733, with the requirement that there be a Sender: email address. It looks like we removed it for rfc822.

And while I recall something of the EAI discussion, I'm not recalling this permission's being returned. Nor am I finding it in rfc6854:

So, please point to the formal specification that permits a From: field to have no email address.

Absent that, there's the small question about how the EAI group would have the authority to make such a major change to such a basic email feature...

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking