Re: [dmarc-ietf] Identification of an email author (was - Re: IETF Mailing Lists and DMARC)

2016-11-07 17:16:58
On 11/7/2016 11:41 AM, Franck Martin wrote:
> The EAI WG found it was fine to remove the obligation to have an email
> address part in the mandatory RFC5322.From header, leaving only the
> display part to assert the original author.

We had that relaxed permission for From:, in the original
From/Sender/Reply-to specification of rfc733, with the requirement that
there be a Sender: email address.  It looks like we removed it for rfc822.

And while I recall something of the EAI discussion, I'm not recalling
this permission's being returned.  Nor am I finding it in rfc6854:

So, please point to the formal specification that permits a From: field
to have no email address.

RFC 6854.

Absent that, there's the small question about how the EAI group would
have the authority to make such a major change to such a basic email
feature...

RFC 6854 can speak for itself as to the rationale for allowing no address.

The EAI connection was, as I recall, for use in downgrade formats used to
present EAI messages to non-EAI clients via POP3 and IMAP4.

                                Ned