Re: [dmarc-ietf] IETF Mailing Lists and DMARC

2016-11-02 18:24:19
On Wed, Nov 02, 2016 at 02:58:31PM -0700, Brandon Long wrote:
If this is a problem for you as a receiver, you can choose to attempt to
whitelist the ietf mailing list mail from DMARC enforcement.  You may not
be able to do so, just like the sender may not be able to change their
organizations DMARC record.

The middle man, ietf, can work around this today.  They need to run a new
enough version of mailman and enable one of the workarounds.  For mailman,
this means munging the mail, usually the From header.  It's not pretty, but
it works, it works now, and it will work for everyone.  The difference is
mostly cosmetic, though depending on your mail client, there may be other
downsides.  And it may violate RFC 5322.

I don't think this is possible with mailman, but theoretically it is also
possible for a mailing list to pass the message through without breaking
the DKIM signature.  This means no footers and no subject tags.  Which of
these a list would choose is probably dependent on the list members.

mailman should also know how to tell the difference between a message
specific policy bounce, and particular DMARC bounces, and should apply
different heuristics to handling them.  I have no idea if that existing in
any version of mailman or is a planned feature.

There is a proposed standard, ARC, that would allow mail receivers to do
more intelligent whitelisting.  It's not ready yet.

There is a third option --- which is that if you want to participate
on certain mailing lists, you have to use a non-DMARC e-mail address.
There are people with google.com addresses that need to use non-Google
addresses in order to participate on the Linux Kernel Mailing List.