Re: [dmarc-ietf] Identification of an email author (was - Re: IETF Mailing Lists and DMARC)

2016-11-07 16:54:55
On 11/4/2016 2:54 PM, Terry Zink wrote:
If you hit “Reply-All”, at least when I use Gmail, it includes both the
From: and the Reply-To using the scheme below (I tested it out just
now). In Outlook desktop I have to also copy/paste the From: address
(mailing list). It’s not ideal in Outlook desktop, but I can live with it.

In this email discussion, I hit Reply-All and includes Ted on the To:,
and dmarc(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org <mailto:dmarc(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> and
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
<mailto:ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> on the cc.

RFC5322:

When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it
   indicates the address(es) to which the author of the message suggests
   that replies be sent.

and

In the absence of the "Reply-To:" field,
   replies SHOULD by default be sent to the mailbox(es) specified in the
   "From:" field unless otherwise specified by the person composing the
   reply.

This does not prohibit also sending to the From: address, but it makes clear that including the From: address goes against the intent of having the Reply-To: field. So such copying violates the intent of the Reply-to field.

That such behavior is common doesn't make it a good choice.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking