Re: IPv4 outage at next IETF in Chicago

2017-01-24 21:40:15

Mark Andrews writes:

In message
<F04ED1585899D842B482E7ADCA581B8459489B47(_at_)newserver(_dot_)arneill-py(_dot_)loc
al
, Michel Py writes:
Christian Huitema wrote :
The blog explains that Microsoft IT wants to move their network to IPv6
only.

And I'm sure there is another quite helpful blog that explains why
Microsoft IT wants to move to a Windows 10 only environment too.

Michel.

But Microsoft aren't the only ones that are looking to deploy
IPv6-only due to not having enough IPv4 addresses internally.  There
is also Google, Facebook ...

The IETF has produced multiple solutions that provide IPv4 as a
service with IPv6-only to the node.  All of them require IPv6 nodes
and/or applications to be updated to be generally useful.

NAT64/DNS64 requires applications which deal with IPv4 literals to
be updated.

Dual-Stack-Lite node mode requires a tunnel interface be configured
the destination address of which is advertised in a DHCPv6 option.
For those that don't like DHCPv6 we could add a RA option.

464XLAT with a in node CLAT.  You still have to deal with the DNS munging
and everything that is known to be broken with NAT64/DNS64.

One just breaks more things.  I'll let you guess which.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org