Re: If Muslims are blocked by the U.S., should the IETF respond?

2017-01-28 15:34:41
No, I don't think this is a meeting venue issue. It is a policy issue and
thus a question for the whole IETF.

There are many questions that are completely outside our normal concerns.
There are quite a few countries that I am advised I cannot or should not
visit for various reasons, including some where IETF meetings have been
held in the recent past and I certainly could not visit Iran after some of
the things I have said. But those are just politics as usual.

The current Trump administration orders are implementation of campaign
pledges that were racist in intent and form. And that makes them very
different.

* Can non-US citizens attend the venue?

* Can US Citizens not attend the venue due to retaliation against
discriminatory policies?

* Can US permanent residents return to the US after attending the venue?

We could discuss these at great length. Or maybe we could produce a
verifiably end to end secure email, chat and document management protocol
that is as easy to use as Signal but is not a walled garden model.

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 2:40 PM, Warren Kumari <warren(_at_)kumari(_dot_)net>