Re: If Muslims are blocked by the U.S., should the IETF respond?

2017-01-28 17:29:35
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, Emily Shepherd wrote:

The IETF is the Internet Engineering Task Force. This is not an Internet Engineering issue and thus not appropriate discussion for the IETF.

Seeing how we had a pretty big discussion about Singapore, I do think
this is a very appropriate discussion. Not only is it important that
future venues still comply with our requirements, which are discussed at
mtgvenue, but there is also a direct financial link with the attendance
number. If people cannot come, or refuse to come out of solidarity,
it will simply cost the IETF money when the meeting runs at a larger loss.

And while most will agree there is nothing to be done for Chicago,
I think it would be prudent for the IAOC to look into alternatives for
IETF-102 next year which is currently scheduled to be in San Francisco,
as well as take this new information into consideration when deciding
venues for 2019-2020.

Personally, I will not attend IETF-98 if there are any race or religious
restrictions in place regardless of whether these apply to me personally.

Paul