Re: The CIA mentions us

2017-03-09 15:11:48
There are two issues

1) Requirements, how should this data be secured?
2) Technology, how can the requirements be met?

I totally agree that transport layer encryption is not enough here. The
security requirement is end to end.

Proprietary products that meet that requirement do exist and the US
agencies that do this work have the financial and technical means to deploy
and use them and I have no problem with the idea of imposing a requirement
on that group that requires them to pay for the tools.

However, it is not just the US agencies doing this work. There are now 117
cyber commands and there is a real problem of 'loose cyber-weapons'. It is
to the interest of the US and to all the other cyber-commands that a norm
is established that cyber weapons are secured end to end throughout their
lifecyle and tools produced to enable that to be achieved.

Such tools do not currently exist. However some key patent expiries that
have occurred and will be complete in November this year make true end to
end data level encryption practical. I have proof of concept but short of
infringing code running in the lab which I will push out as soon as I can
together with the supporting specifications.

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 4:02 PM, John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>