Re: IETF Last Call conclusion for draft-ietf-6man-rfc2460bis-08

2017-03-31 13:35:43
On 01/04/2017 07:14, Robert Raszuk wrote:
Hi Suresh,

The fact that encapsulation in new v6 header is optional to me is clearly
stated in section 4.1 of that document:

 By default, a local SID bound to the End function does not allow
      the decapsulation of an outer header.  As a consequence, an End
      SID cannot be the last SID of an SRH and cannot be the DA of a
      packet without SRH.

   o  If the decapsulation is desired, then another function must be
      bound to the SID

Sure, any tunnel needs a decapsulator as well as an encapsulator. That's
not news, so what is the problem here? I assume you'd decapsulate in
the last hop router. I don't claim to understand segment routing, so
I can't actually understand the above text. But the text elsewhere
is clear enough that either the original source or the encapsulator
builds the routing header, and that's all we need to know for
2460(bis) compatibility. So why are we still discussing?

    Brian

(e.g., End.DX6 defined in
      [I-D.filsfils-spring-srv6-network-programming
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-segment-routing-header-06#ref-I-D.filsfils-spring-srv6-network-programming>]).
This prevents
      any unintentional decapsulation by the segment endpoint node.  The
      details of the advertisement of a SID in the control plane are
      outside the scope of this document (e.g.,
      [I-D.previdi-idr-segment-routing-te-policy
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-segment-routing-header-06#ref-I-D.previdi-idr-segment-routing-te-policy>],
      [I-D.dawra-bgp-srv6-vpn
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-segment-routing-header-06#ref-I-D.dawra-bgp-srv6-vpn>]
and [I-D.bashandy-isis-srv6-extensions
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-segment-routing-header-06#ref-I-D.bashandy-isis-srv6-extensions>].

On Mar 31, 2017 13:08, "Suresh Krishnan"
<suresh(_dot_)krishnan(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Hi Robert,

On Mar 31, 2017, at 12:56 PM, Robert Raszuk <robert(_at_)raszuk(_dot_)net>