RE: Update on feedback on US-based meetings, and IETF 102

2017-04-13 05:00:20
Stephen,

You used the word "onus" - which can be interpreted to mean "duty" or
"responsibility."

For me, at least, the distinction between duty, responsibility and "need" is
practically non-existent.  This the basis of my objection to what you said.

Even if you disagree with this interpretation, however, I very much doubt that
anyone should feel an "onus" to publicly defend their opinion on any topic,
much less on a topic that is as likely to be unpopular with one group or
another as this topic is.

I also doubt that this applies to any "onus" to state the degree or strength of
conviction regarding an opinion, even if one is willing to state it.

If your point is that perhaps the degree to which any response was "adamant"
should probably have been omitted, then I agree.  But, if your point is that
the willingness of one group of respondents to state their degree of conviction
places any duty or responsibility on anyone positing a different opinion to
similarly state a degree of conviction, then I feel a need to disagree.
Perhaps adamantly.  :-)

--
Eric