Re: Update on feedback on US-based meetings, and IETF 102

2017-04-13 07:14:49
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 4:10 AM

On 4/12/17 5:33 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
to me, the lack of predictibility on the draconian index is the main
issue.  and for the uk as well as the states,  both seem to have a
well
developed and practiced ability to do very damaging things on very, or
no, notice.

I am in favour of the UK doing very damaging things on very, or no,
notice; in fact, I prefer no notice.

I don't know how widely bad news spreads these days, but suspected
terrorists continue to kill people in the UK, and Europe, every few
months and while some of the attacks have resulted in significant loss
of life, we have not, in the recent past, had the hundreds of deaths
from a plane being brought down; and the worst case scenario, of a crash
over a major city, would make that thousands.

The shoe bomber was not forestalled but did not cause a crash.  The
printer cartridge bomb was not forestalled but did not cause a crash.
The use of three household liquids to create a bomb on board was
forestalled; preventing it caused massive disruption and resentment but
when the facts emerged, then the action seemed reasonable and
proportionate; and I was relieved that no notice was given.

Now there is a ban on electronic devices in hand luggage when travelling
to the UK from six countries; I saw that that was going to be extended
for travel to all Europe and perhaps to the USA.  I see no explanation
for this action but the history, as above, makes me see this, on
balance, as a prudent precaution.

So suspected terrorists switch to low tech means - lorries, knives and
such like - and people continue to be killed but when, without warning,
my travel plans are disrupted, then I give the disrupters the benefit of
the doubt.

Probabality low, impact high.  YMMV.

Tom Petch

+1