RE: [Int-area] Google Statistics for IPv6 adoption.

2017-04-16 10:16:01
Hi Ole,

This is not true.
The plan was for a short period where hosts were dual stack and then as soon as
IPv6 was everywhere, turn IPv4 off.
That's not where we are. I would expect the number of  IPv6 only networks and
services to grow. Possibly without IPv4 support at all, or where the cost and
responsibility of legacy support will be pushed out towards the IPv4 only users.

That's true.

If that happens, clearly is the fault of somebody that doesn’t know how to
do his job. This can happen exactly the same if your protocol becomes
approved and some folks don’t update their hosts or routers to comply with
your protocol, right?

That's right, and there should be a place like the IETF that should organize
this process until all technology companies prepare the updates and there
should be a flag day for the deployment,
If a host still not updated, will not gain access to the Internet until
updating the OS.

Best regards,

Khaled Omar

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; intarea-chairs(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Google Statistics for IPv6 adoption.

Jordi,

And actually, in general, nobody complains that any hosts in IPv4 is not able
to access resources at IPv6 hosts. This is why we have the transition
mechanism, that are being deployed in parallel to the IPv6 deployment.

This is not true.
The plan was for a short period where hosts were dual stack and then as soon as
IPv6 was everywhere, turn IPv4 off.
That's not where we are. I would expect the number of  IPv6 only networks and
services to grow. Possibly without IPv4 support at all, or where the cost and
responsibility of legacy support will be pushed out towards the IPv4 only users.

Nobody is so crazy to just deploy IPv6 and do not provide those transition
mechanisms.

If that happens, clearly is the fault of somebody that doesn’t know how to do
his job. This can happen exactly the same if your protocol becomes approved
and some folks don’t update their hosts or routers to comply with your
protocol, right?

The transition has turned out to be a real pain.
I understand the problem Khaled set out to solve.
Unfortunately his solution is not practical nor deployable.
And we have in fact tried many of the same flavours of solution before.
Given Khaled's apparent non-interest in two-way communication I wouldn't
imagine any number of emails would help in that regard.

Best regards,
Ole