Re: [Int-area] Google Statistics for IPv6 adoption.

2017-04-16 12:26:25
On 4/16/2017 10:02 AM, Steve Crocker wrote:
Any transition solution, whether from IPv4 to IPv6 or a successor protocol elsewhere on the stack, has to be designed to permit overlap and interoperability during the very long period when both the old and new protocols will be operating.

Given the amount of time any Internet-scale transition must/will take, the term 'transition' is tending to be problematic, because it encourages of tone of temporariness.

When the scale is one or more decades -- as we seem to be seeing regularly -- the better model is long-term dual-stack with interoperability support (gateways and tunnels.)

Further, there will have to be two incentives at work for the transition to succeed.

+1, but the challenge is figuring out who to incentivize and making sure the incentives are powerful and real (and usually immediate.) We all have a tendency to imagine incentives that are convenient to our goals, whereas those doing the uptake often prove remarkably uncooperative to our view...

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking