Re: remember incentives! Re: wireless geolocation

2017-06-08 09:44:17

On 2017-06-08 14:40, Eliot Lear wrote:
Hi John,

On 6/8/17 12:09 AM, John Levine wrote:
I'd say that summary is not even wrong.  Our problem is not technical.
Geolocation is handled by a handful of companies that have no
incentive to solve our problem.

THIS.

Those companies make their business off of selling information, and that
information has to be accurate to within some degree.  The IETF is in
the noise.  How many roaming show networks are there really?  If this is
something that is really important to the IETF, then the organization
should use equipment where the BSSID is changed, and/or perhaps start to
rely on local facilities to provide the appropriate services.  Yes, that
might prove expensive.

Not only THIS, but developers are now actually being paid to link their
apps to certain libraries to invade consumer privacy (Egelman et al).
And that means that just rotating BSSIDs to protect privacy doesn't
actually do much for privacy, but it might do something for accuracy.

Eliot

All right so the claim is now that it may be an issue but its not
worth spending time on since the "other side" won't want to play ball?

Fair enough, however I note that the OPs message claimed that the
NOC is /reasonably/ successful in dealing with this issue by
sending emails so its not inconceivable that an automated process
could work...

otoh it would require that the IETF manage to keep it simple... ;-)

        Cheers Leif