Re: wireless geolocation

2017-06-08 15:58:41
On Thu, Jun 08, 2017 at 05:22:24PM -0000, John Levine wrote:
In article <20170607234116(_dot_)kle7vflcjc7hzjpx(_at_)thunk(_dot_)org> you
write:
Well, it's said that conference/standards travellers often drop large
sums of money at many fine dining establishments.  And no one seems to
have a problem when concierges get referral fees for suggesting
restaurants to their clients.  There may be more money in getting this
geolocation thing as right as possible than you think.

Our phones geolocate just fine, so I think that part of the problem is
solved.

We should be clear what problem we're trying to solve.  Randy Bush's
original posting was about geolocation using BSSID's belonging to Wifi
AP's.  This is typically done on mobile devices, although I suppose
some browsers could be querying the OS for Wireless BSSID's.

Other people have broadened this discussion out to geolocation by IP
address, where the server may be trying to make inferences based on
the IP address of the web request as it appears to the front-end
server of the web service.

This is very different from the Browser providing HTML5 Gelocation
information, after asking permission of the user whether a particular
web site should be given visibility to whatever location information
the browser might posses.

So in classic IETF fashion, if this is something where someone wants
to start a wg or a BOF, it would be helpful if the scope of the
problem is very clearly defined.  :-)

                                                - Ted