Re: wireless geolocation

2017-06-07 17:27:53
On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 10:09:39PM -0000, John Levine wrote:
In article <efebcd89-289d-2a3e-9246-6321c07bd255(_at_)mnt(_dot_)se> you write:
So to sum up:

"Here is a problem: ... "

"No its not and even if it was, ...

I'd say that summary is not even wrong.  Our problem is not technical.
Geolocation is handled by a handful of companies that have no
incentive to solve our problem.

How many wifi networks are there in the world?  I expect upward of a
hundred million.

How many wifi networks regularly move from one continent to another?
You can probably count them on your fingers.  We're not even a
rounding error, and we're not paying customers.  Why should Maxmind et
al. spend money to build a mechanism to deal with us and networks like
ours?

See, now, this is why we need to put geoloc information into DNS and/or
BGP, thus cutting out the secret sauce makers for all cases where
services don't mind trusting DNS/BGP geoloc data.

I mean that half-facetiously, half-seriously.